|All Saints Church, Burghclere, Hampshire|
Rev. Portal can be found in the peerage works--his elder brother was made a baronet in 1901, and the title is still in existence today--and his lines of descent from James V, James IV and Henry VII were presented in previous posts. His wife's ancestry was more challenging to work out (only one published pedigree of her family exists, and it doesn't even contain her), but just as fascinating. I'll go into more detail on the Soulsbys in the next post. Her parents were first cousins, and Helen's four lines of descent from Edward IV's illegitimate daughter Lady Margaret Lumley are presented below.
|Daubuz of Killiow coat of arms|
HELEN MARY CHARLOTTE SOULSBY, b. Bessingby Hall, Yorkshire, bap. 5 Oct. 1828 St Magnus Church, Bessingby; d. 9 May 1904 South Kensington, London, bur. 12 May 1904 All Saints Churchyard, Burghclere, Hampshire, er dau. of Christopher Thomas Soulsby of Bessingby Hall (1794-1842, descended from Edward IV - see Generation A12 below) and Anne Hudson (1797-1839, descended from Edward IV - see Generation B12 below); m. 1st 23 May 1850 St Katharine Chapel, Regent's Park, London, WILLIAM DAUBUZ of Killiow House, Kea, Cornwall, b. 23 Aug. 1804 Killiow House, bap. 4 Oct. 1804 St Mary Church, Truro, Cornwall; d. 24 Feb. 1854 Killiow House, bur. St Kea Church, Kea, son of Lewis Charles Daubuz of Killiow House (1755-1839) and Wilmot Arundell (1770-1814), and had issue, one daughter; m. 2nd 26 Dec. 1860 Turin, Piedmont, Italy, Rev. (GEORGE) RAYMOND PORTAL, Rector of Burghclere 1871-89, b. 28 Feb. 1827 Freefolk House, Freefolk Priors, Hampshire, bap. 14 July 1827 St Mary Church, Laverstoke, Hampshire; d. 3 Apr. 1889 Burghclere, bur. 8 Apr. 1889 All Saints Churchyard, Burghclere, yst son of John Portal of Laverstoke House (1764-1848) and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Drummond (1788-1877, descended from Henry VII), and had issue, three sons and two daughters.
Issue of Helen (Soulsby) and William Daubuz:
1) ANN EVELYN DAUBUZ, b/d. (lived only a couple hours) 27 Mar. 1852 Killiow House.
|The children of Rev. Portal on p. 540 of Ruvigny's 1903 Tudor volume|
Issue of Helen (Soulsby) and Rev. George Portal:
2) Lt. HENRY RAYMOND PORTAL, Lieutenant 61st (Gloucester) Regiment 1885-86, b. 4 Oct. 1863 Albury, Surrey, bap. 8 Nov. 1863 St Peter & St Paul Church, Albury; d. unm. (while on active service) 24 May 1886 Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India.
3) BERENGER RAYMOND PORTAL, b. 20 Jan. 1865 Albury, bap. 12 Mar. 1865 St Peter & St Paul Church, Albury; d. in infancy 28 Sept. 1867 Albury, bur. there 4 Oct. 1867.
|Maj. Maurice Raymond Portal|
4) (HELEN) VIOLET PORTAL, b. 9 June 1867 Albury, bap. 14 July 1867 St Peter & St Paul Church, Albury; d. 2 Oct. 1927 Woodcott House, Hampshire; m. 31 Aug. 1897 St Paul Church Knightsbridge, London, RICHARD FRANCIS NICHOLSON of Woodcott House, distiller, b. 7 Oct. 1865 Paddington, London, bap. 16 Nov. 1865 St James Church, Paddington; d. 6 May 1940 Woodcott House, 4th son of William Nicholson of Basing Park (1824-1909) and Isabella Sarah Meek (1835-1934), and had issue, two sons.
5) Maj. MAURICE RAYMOND PORTAL of Holywell House, Swanmore, Hampshire, b. 29 Mar. 1870 Albury, bap. 29 Mar. 1870 St Peter & St Paul Church, Albury; d.s.p. 30 Dec. 1955 The Priory Nursing Home, Roehampton, Surrey; m. 12 Oct. 1897 St Paul Knightsbridge, London, (CLARA) ETHEL KIDSTON, b. 1875 Finlaystone House, Kilmalcolm, Renfrewshire; d.s.p. 11 June 1960 Holywell House, 5th dau. of George Jardine Kidston of Finlaystone House (1835-1909) and Elizabeth Agnes Logan (d. 1881).
6) (HELEN) MARGARET PORTAL, b. 22 Jan. 1875 Albury; d.s.p. 8 Nov. 1959 Bodorgan House, Ramsbury, Wiltshire; m. 17 Sept. 1908 All Saints Church, Burghclere, RAdm. EDMOND HYDE PARKER of Bodorgan House, Rear-Admiral Royal Navy 1917-51, b. 30 Jan. 1868 Melford Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk, bap. 1 Mar. 1868 Holy Trinity Church, Long Melford; d.s.p. 19 Aug. 1951 Bodorgan House, 3rd son of Sir William Parker, 9th Baronet of Melford Hall (1826-1891, descended from Charles II) and Sophia Mary Barnardiston (1836-1903, descended from Edward IV).
Edward IV = (probably) Margaret Fitzlewis, Dame Lucy (1440-1466, descended from Edward I), and had a dau:
A1) Margaret Plantagenet, illegit. (b. c.1462) m. Sir Thomas Lumley, Heir of Lumley Castle (c.1462-1503, descended from Edward III), and had two sons A2 & D2 and a dau C2 (see below)
A2) Roger Lumley of Ludworth Tower (d. aft.1529) m. Isabel Radcliffe (descended from Edward I), and had
A3) Isabel Lumley (c.1520-1590) m. Richard Conyers of Horden Hall (d. 1595, descended from Edward I), and had
A4) CHRISTOPHER CONYERS of Horden Hall, Easington, Durham, b. by 1545; bur. 23 Sept. 1608 St Mary Church, Easington; m. 2nd 4 Nov. 1586 St Mary & St Cuthbert Church, Chester-le-Street, Durham, ANNE HEDWORTH (see C5 below), and had
A5) Sir JOHN CONYERS, 1st Baronet of Horden, b. c.1587; d. 4 Dec. 1664 Horden Hall, bur. 6 Dec. 1664 St Mary Church, Easington; m. 1 June 1606 St Giles Church, Skelton, Yorkshire, FRANCES GROVES, b. c.1590; bur. 24 Jan. 1636 St Mary Church, Easington, dau. of Thomas Groves of York and Anne Herbert, and had
|Lady Julia (née Conyers) Blackett|
- see Generation A7
A7) JULIA CONYERS, bap. 19 May 1668 St Mary & St Cuthbert Church, Chester-le-Street; d. 16 Aug. 1722, bur. 21 Aug. 1722 St John Church, Hampstead, Middlesex; m. 1st 27 Jan. 1685 St Nicholas Church, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Northumberland, Sir WILLIAM BLACKETT, 1st Baronet of Newcastle-on-Tyne, b. 5 Apr. 1657 Newcastle, bap. 9 Apr. 1657 St Nicholas Church, Newcastle; d. 2 Dec. 1705 London, bur. 29 Dec. 1705 St Nicholas Church, Newcastle, son of Sir William Blackett, 1st Baronet of Newcastle-on-Tyne (1621-1680) and Elizabeth Kirkley (d. 1674), and had
A8) JULIA BLACKETT, b. 18 May 1686 Newcastle-on-Tyne, bap. 25 May 1686 St Andrew Church, Newcastle-on-Tyne; d. 13 Sept. 1736 Calverley Hall, Yorkshire, bur. 19 Sept. 1736 St Wilfred Church, Calverley; m. 17 Jan. 1707 St Andrew Church, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Sir WALTER CALVERLEY, 1st Baronet of Calverley, bap. 16 Jan. 1670 St Wilfred Church, Calverley; d. 15 Oct. 1749, bur. St Wilfred Church, Calverley, son of Walter Calverley of Calverley Hall (1629-1691, descended from Edward III) and Frances Thompson (1639-1721, descended from Edward I), and had
|Lady Julia (née Calverley) Trevelyan|
- see Generation A9
A10) SUSANNA TREVELYAN, b. Leyhill, Payhembury, Devon, bap. 19 Nov. 1736 St Mary Church, Payhembury; bur. 23 Apr. 1780 St Crux Church, York, Yorkshire; m. 5 Feb. 1764 St Crux Church, York, JOHN HUDSON of Bessingby Hall, bap. 28 June 1727 St Mary Church, Bridlington, Yorkshire; d. Oct. 1772, bur. St Magnus Church, Bessingby, son of Benjamin Hudson of Bridlington, merchant (d. 1761) and Elizabeth Wilson, and had a dau A11 and a son B11 (see below)
|Susanna (née Trevelyan) Hudson|
- see Generation A10
A12) CHRISTOPHER THOMAS SOULSBY of Hallington Hall, bap. 14 July 1794 St John of Beverley Church, St John Lee; d. 28 Oct. 1842 Bessingby Hall; m. 1 Nov. 1825 St Magnus Church, Bessingby, his first cousin, ANNE HUDSON (see B12 below), and had
A13) HELEN MARY CHARLOTTE SOULSBY (1828-1904-see details above)
|Soulsby coat of arms|
B11) Capt. HARRINGTON HUDSON of Bessingby Hall, M.P. Helton 1818-26, b. 11 Apr. 1772 Bessingby Hall, bap. 12 Apr. 1772 St Magnus Church, Bessingby; d. there 29 Nov. 1826, bur. there 7 Dec. 1826; m. 26 Oct. 1795 St Mary Church, East Raynham, Norfolk, Lady ANNE TOWNSHEND, b. 1 Feb. 1775 Marylebone, London, bap. 10 Mar. 1775 St Marylebone Parish Church; d. there 2 Apr. 1818, est dau. of George, 1st Marquess Townshend (1724-1807, descended from Edward III) and his 2nd wife Anne Montgomery (1754-1819), and had
B12) ANNE HUDSON, b. 10 Feb. 1797 Marylebone, London, bap. 14 Mar. 1797 St Marylebone Parish Church; d. 6 June 1839 Bessingby Hall; m. 1 Nov. 1825 St Magnus Church, Bessingby, her first cousin, CHRISTOPHER THOMAS SOULSBY of Hallington Hall (see A12 above)
C2) Sybil Lumley (c.1480-by 1526) m. William, 9th Lord Hilton (d. by 1537), and had
|Hedworth of Harraton coat of arms|
C4) JOHN HEDWORTH of Harraton Hall, b. c.1537; bur. 15 Jan. 1600 St Mary & St Cuthbert Church, Chester-le-Street; m. c.1560, JANE BELLASIS, b. c.1535; bur. 25 Feb. 1601 St Mary & St Cuthbert Church, Chester-le-Street, dau. of Richard Bellasis of Henknoll (c.1489-1540) and Margery Errington (d. 1587), and had
C5) ANNE HEDWORTH, b. c.1565; d. unknown; m. 4 Nov. 1586 St Mary & St Cuthbert Church, Chester-le-Street, as his 2nd wife, CHRISTOPHER CONYERS of Horden Hall (see A4 above)
D2) Richard, 4th Lord Lumley (by 1478-1510) m. Anne Conyers (1469-1530, descended from Edward III), and had
D3) Anthony Lumley (d. bef.1587) m. --- Grey, and had
D4) ROGER LUMLEY of Durham, b. c.1550; d. Great North Gate, Durham, bur. 30 Mar. 1606 St Mary-le-Bow Durham; m. 28 Sept. 1578 St Oswald Church, Durham, ANNE KYRKEMAN, d. aft.1616, and had
|Hon. Julia (née Lumley) Conyers|
- see Generation D6
D6) Hon. JULIA LUMLEY, bap. 12 Aug. 1624 St John the Baptist Church, Westbourne; d. 21 May 1691, bur. St Peter Church, Racton, Sussex; m. 2nd 3 Nov. 1666, as his 2nd wife, Sir CHRISTOPHER CONYERS, 2nd Baronet of Horden (see A6 above)
The next blogpost will look at some of the additional Edward III lines behind Helen Portal's parents, Christopher Thomas Soulsby and Anne née Hudson.